Sunday, August 27, 2006

My laptop is toying with me

Yesterday, I brought my laptop to the computer store where I used to rent a back room to run a tutoring business. I told the owner that my laptop had not turned on for two weeks. He was able to boot it and shut down successfully three times. The battery light was flickering orange though, which is a possible sign of a defective battery according to my owner's manual. My battery is fine; I've swapped it with my housemate who uses a Dell Inspiron 5160. I've also swapped my AC adapter with him to eliminate that as the source of the trouble. I brought the laptop home and was able to boot and shut it down once before it stopped working again.

I brought it immediately back to the computer store where I was told it was better to buy a new CA$1400 laptop (the LG P1-5001A9 was recommended) instead of paying ~CA$300 to repair it. Not fully convinced, I priced some similar machines. If I had to buy one, I would probably buy the Lenovo ThinkPad Z61m (part number 9452W1Q) for the same price (IBM stockholder pricing).

Replacing the motherboard would be better for the environment and my bank account, so that's what I will likely do -- after my laptop finally breaks. It turned on today repeatedly and I am currently using it to write this posting. The battery light is also behaving normally.

No comments: